03 February 2024

Day 17, Geraldine to Taylor's Creek campsite near Staveley, 85km

It was beautiful riding today, on my favourite surface: hard tar-sealed roads through flat country, with no headwinds. On backroads, so there was no traffic.
However it did absolutely pour down, complete with thunder and lightning constantly for about 20 minutes.
Fortunately during the thunderstorm I was able to shelter at a cafe in Mayfield ("I reckon it's the Mayfield grain") and drink coffee and eat a pie while observing the torrential rain outside.
That Mayfield guy, from the ad on TV. Today I learned where Mayfield is, as i went though it.

I continued on once the storm passed but I did get caught out by another shower which came through about an hour later. I got pretty wet because my raincoat is worthless, but it was not too uncomfortable.

It is snowing on the hills above me. I'm directly below Mount Hutt ski field and I suspect from the fresh snow that has just fallen that I will be wearing ALL my clothes and hat and trousers in my sleeping bag tonight! Brrr.
Added later: I have discovered my tent leaks terribly. Why did I not find this out last trip when it rained on the Rees-Dart? I need to re waterproof the fly.

No comments: