01 February 2024

Day 15, second day of rest in Fairlie

Today was my second day of rest in Fairlie. I woke with the sun and set out to hitchhike to Timaru. The campground owner kindly offered to give me a lift there because she had errands to do in the big city.
So kind!
We chatted awkwardly in the car. I have discovered that I do not like hitchhiking anymore because I don't like chit-chatting with people. And the people who pick up hitchhikers usually want some chitchat.
Hmm.

Anyway she very kindly dropped me right outside the bike shop where I purchased the needful things.
Then a water filter from an outdoor shop, and some good healthy food.

Then I did something I've never done before: I took a decentralized bus service. It's really modern: on your phone you put in your location and destination. A computer somewhere links up all the people in Timaru who want bus rides at that time and creates an entirely novel route to satisfy everyone.
I waited 18 minutes for my bus which took me right out to Washdyke and only cost $2.50.
It's really bizarre, there are no more set bus routes in Timaru but this clever computer thing gets everyone to their destinations faster than they would otherwise, without having to walk far, and it costs the council less because there are never empty buses on unused routes.
Amazing! The future, man!

From Washdyke I hitchhiked back to Fairlie, fixed the tyre, and had sweet and sour pork for tea.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I know what you mean about riding with drivers. On my trip to Auckland and back in the spring that was the most challenging aspect. I anticipated it would be worse than it actually was. I have resorted, in extreme cases, to explaining how tired I am and sleeping.