27 January 2024

Day 10, Boundary Hut to Omarama, 43km.

I'm really enjoying these short kilometer days. Just soaking up the scenery and arriving at camp with plenty of energy left to enjoy reading books and explore.

The rain cleared overnight and it is another glorious warm sunny day. The landscape is all golden tussock and steep mountains on both sides, with a swift cold river between.
Today I have at least 20 river crossings, on top of the 8 yesterday. The river is pretty swift and almost too deep for my bike.
I walk it across because of the rocky uneven bottom, and the bouyant panniers catch the swift water. The whole fully loaded bike floats up and tries to escape by swimming downriver! I have to grab it, brace my legs, and haul it across.
I must be careful to be upstream, otherwise the bike will be pushed down on me, and both me and it will fall, with not great consequences.

I have triple bagged the panniers so nothing gets wet, despite the water coming almost over the top of the panniers.
The rough four-wheel drive road continues past Top Hut and then a ridiculously steep climb to Omarama Saddle.
There is no chance of cycling the uphill. Pushing all the way! It is almost 400 vertical metres in less than 2 kilometres of track. 
The view from the top is stunning with the Southern Alps wreathed in rain and the rest of the Mackenzie Country baking in hot norwestly winds.
That's lake Ohau on the left, and Pukaki on the right.
Then a colossal downhill of almost a vertical kilometre, with my brakes hot and fading. I ride through deep puddles to cool the brakes, and small side streams.

Finally on the flat, I am pushed by a welcome wind to Omarama.
I eat two delicious pies from the 4Square, YUM and check into the campground.

No comments: