28 January 2024

Day 11, Omarama to near Lake Pukaki. 63km.

Highway riding sucks. Traffic is scary. I had to ride on the main road for 17km and there wasn't even a lot of traffic, but it was stressful nonetheless.

But it did mean my brother saw me as he was driving past! He stopped his Wild Kiwi tour bus, and we had big hugs and I said hello to his enthusiastic passengers.
So nice and unexpected!
Ben's photos.
Just a few kilometres further on from where I met Ben, I turned off the main road onto the wonderful quiet Lake Ohau road. It was great riding on the flat but interesting road. There are "kettle holes" which are filled with small lakes in glacial moraine holes, from the last ice age. There are no outlets from these little lakes so i guess they have weird chemistry and life by now.
Then around the lake and alongside the canal, which was beautiful riding again. I love smooth tarseal roads with no traffic. ♥️♥️
I pushed hard and fast to beat the rain, which began within minutes of putting up my tent. Great timing!
I had been watching the rain get closer and closer for an hour as i cycled faster and faster to try to beat it to the campsite. 

Your can see in this photo the rain sweeping in from the mountains.

Tonight I'm camping at Lake Poaka campsite, and even with two toilets available people have pooed in the open and not even dug a hole or covered it. Who does this? Tourists? I guess this is why freedom camping was banned. ☹️




No comments: