25 January 2024

Day 8, Daisybank to Oturehua. 53km.

We woke after a freezing cold night. In Oturehua it was minus 5 degrees on the grass!
Three very noisy young harrier hawks encouraged us out of bed. They were raucous and noisy, playing in the trees and squawking at each other.

We packed up and Mum headed back towards Dunedin and I continued on towards Ranfurly.
The trees in the distance is where we camped last night.
Dramatic skies in this over-processed photo. But that's what it looked like to my eyes.

The scale model of the solar system near Ranfurly. This is Earth.
Beautiful weather with no wind. 
I said hello to maybe 20 bikers all day, mostly families. I met one loaded cycle tourist like me, and we stopped and had a yarn. It's interesting to meet other long distance cyclists.

Then after crossing the 45th parallel twice I rolled into Oturehua after just four hours-ish.
Tonight I'm staying at the Crows Nest which is really a fantastic and interesting place. There's all sorts of Earth brick buildings and things made of driftwood and sculptures and a dog. A woman staying here just gave me apricots and cherries, so it's a very Central Otago feel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're cycling a curious way! Are you headed through the Lindis Pass eventually? Fun and exhaustive, but mainly awesome

Anonymous said...

The route goes over a pass 50km east of the Lindis, called Omarama Pass. It's a 4wd track and apparently it's a gorgeous area http://www.kennett.co.nz/maps/sounds2sound/